Mandarin Orange Smoked HamApril 4, 2015
I LIKE PIG BUTTS and I cannot lie … my jam packed smoker, you can’t deny.
You know, Hickory Smoked Ham is really good… but I like to mix in a bit of citrus to my pork. Peach or Cherry work well, but today we are augmenting a little bit of hickory with a whole bunch of orange wood as well as marinading our big ole butt in the smoker with mandarin oranges.
Note: This recipe will work for a smoked ham, but will be even better if you get one that hasn’t been fully cooked yet.
8 Pound Ham Butt
2 Tablespoons KC Butt Spice (linky) *
1 Can Mandarin Oranges (in light syrup)
Orange Wood Chips
Hickory Wood Chips
TIP: allow meat to rest two hours at room temperature before adding to smoker… it really does make a difference in flavor!
1) Thaw ham and allow it to reach room temp
2) Cover all sides of ham with spices… lightly pat
3) Add wood to smoker (about 7/8 Orange Wood and 1/8th Hickory Wood)
4) Place ham in smoker … fat side up (to allow the juices to flow around and into the ham) Optionally add some of those mandarin oranges to the top.
5) Smoke at 200-225% for 3 hours then remove from smoker
6) Place Ham Butt on aluminum foil (a foil tray works real good here)
7) Pour the mandarin orange syrup juice slowly over and around the meat, then then wrap entire ham in aluminum foil and return to smoker
8) Smoke for an additional 3-5 hours – Your ham’s internal temperature should reach 145 degrees F
Remove from smoker and allow to rest for 30 minutes before carving.
*NOTE: TailgateMaster.com DOES NOT receive any sort of payment-for-clicks for referring you to products that we review. If you find this information useful, please consider sharing our site with others. We have even included some handy social media buttons (below) to make it easy. Isn’t that swell of us?
OH, and if you feel like buying us a beer…