Review: Venustas Heated ClothingJanuary 14, 2022
RATING: Venustas Heated Hoodie
TAILGATING AT STADIUM
TAILGATING WHILE ICE FISHING
PRICE VS COOLNESS FACTOR
VOLUME OF BACON
BEERS CONSUMED WHILE TESTING
Another Warm Gift Idea
Great gear for use in outdoor winter weather.
BRRRRRRRR…. It is very cold in tailgating country so it’s time for another review.
This time we are checking out something everyone could use while tailgating in the parking lot or heck, even enjoying gameday from your fish shanty. We got try out one of the heated clothing items from Venustas.
Venustas sent us a sample heated hoodie for us to look at. We were Not paid for this review. There are No affiliate links here, just our raw opinion.
Minnesotans (and Midwesterners in general) are pretty hearty folk. Many people in this area of the country embrace the cold weather. Winter outdoor activates abound “up north”. Snowmobiling, Ice Fishing , ice skating, outdoor hockey, skiing, snowshoeing just to name a few. Heck, some places even clean off sections of frozen lakes, put studs on car tires and have oval track ice racing. We really do. Not even kidding.
There are some other things we are forced to do, like shoveling and removing snow from our cars, driveways and sidewalks after a good winter blizzard. We all know all about dressing in layers and if you are moving around, it is possible to handle the climate for a good length of time while the task is at hand.
But if you are just standing around idle in a frozen parking lot while holding an ice cold beverage waiting for the game to start, it can get pretty cold…
…and i have a confession.
I REALLY DISLIKE BEING COLD.
I don’t think I can overstate that fact. It is one of the few elements of Tailgating that I just don’t enjoy. I have tried many different products in the past, chemical handwarmers, electric socks with big honking D batteries strapped to my ankles… and never have been too impressed with any of them. When Venustas contacted us, about heated apparel… I didn’t have overly high expectations.
Let’s Take A Look…
The first thing I noticed is that the clothing came sealed in a waterproof container that they actively encourage you to keep for future storage. Clever. I will be able to pack this thing right along with my tailgating supplies and not worry about it getting soaked in BBQ sauce during transport. 😉
Inside the Bag
The cord for the changer is a standard USB C type with AC adapter.
I was very disappointed that the battery pack itself did not have any sort of light or charging indicator.
EDIT: The battery DOES in fact have a charge indicator on the side which is completely invisible when not in use. The numbers blink when it is actively charging and shows a solid 100 when ready to go.
Plugging in to your clothing could not be more simple…
There is a zipped pocket built into the clothing that has a cord that you simply plug into your pack. The battery pack itself also has a USB port and there is ample room inside this zippered pocket to securely hold your smart phone if it needs a charge. Yes, you can heat your hoodie and charge your phone at the same time. NICE!
Three Heating Levels
Press the power button located here:
The heating level can be adjusted by pressing the power button (located right above the logo) for 1 Second. When you press the button the first time, it blinks red while the garment heats up. Each pressing will cycle through the apparel’s temperature settings. This is really fantastic when compared to my old electric socks, which had only two settings: Ridiculously TOO HOT or OFF.
According to the manufacturer, at room temperature the heat will rise to:
LOW (95 °F) = Blue
MEDIUM (113 °F)= White
HIGH (130 °F) = Red
I TESTED THIS HOODIE at MINUS 19 °F
Seriously. That was the temp outside my home on earlier this month WITHOUT any wind-chill. A lovely January day in Minnesota 😉 and I have to admit i was impressed. I tested for two hours while wearing three layers. A T-Shirt under the hoodie, and a normal winter jacket over the top.
When simply standing outside, the cold did not feel bad at all. The heating elements are located in the correct spots keeping my chest, back and hands quite warm. After shoveling snow for a bit, I was glad to have the adjustable heat option because I could easily see how this could actually get too warm when set on HIGH. Especially when it’s not so ridiculously cold out.
When standing idle at -19 °F , the HIGH setting felt wonderful. After shoveling for a bit, I actually had to turn it down to Medium.
Highlights from the Manufacturer
- Graphene Heating Elements. Graphene is stronger than diamond and is the thinnest, strongest, and most flexible known material. It features remarkable electrical and thermal conductivity, damage-proof ability. Adopting the graphene heating element makes this Venusta heated pullover hoodie so unique and better than ever. The electric heated hoodie takes a leap in preheat duration thanks to the great thermal conductivity. It will heat before you can notice it. Warmth spreads across your body in seconds.
- No Extra Decorations Added. The appearance of the battery heated hoodie is simple as it looks, making it an all-scenario pick for both men and women
- Soft Shell & Lining. The exterior is made of cotton and polyester fiber, and lining is made of 100% polyester, which ensures comfortable wearing experience.
- 5 Graphene Heating Elements cover back, chest, and 2 pockets. Yes! Heating pockets are taken into serious consideration this time. No more cold hands.
- 3 Heating Levels. This heat up hoodie features 3 heating levels (low, medium, high). You can adjust the level to enjoy different warmth by pressing the button
- Upgraded Performance. It comes with a new 5000mAh battery pack, which enables 3-4hrs on high, 4-5hrs on medium, 8-10hrs on low heating setting. The charging core is upgraded to fit better with the graphene heating elements, thus improving the efficiency.
- Dual Output Ports Available. This 5000mAh battery charger has 2 output ports, USB 5V/2.1A and DC 7.4V/2.1A. It allows you to charge your phone at the same time.
- LED Display makes it possible for you to know the remaining battery precisely.
Are all these things true?
From what we have been able to verify… Yes! Yes they are.
What We Really Liked
- Clean design & simple to operate
- Very soft and comfy
- USB port on the Battery Pack is handy
- Battery Pouch is large enough to also hold your phone
- Adjustable Heat
What We Didn’t Like So Much:
- No alternate color options (favorite team colors)
- Can’t use a generic/alternate battery pack
It would have been nice to have the option of using a third party battery in the event that this battery gets damaged and needs to be replaced on short notice. Then again, that might be because of the specific voltage or amperage requirements of the heating elements. (I don’t know the specific requirements … I’m not a rocket surgeon). They do have replacement batteries available for this garment at their website. Having the USB port is a very nice plus.
I wish it came in my favorite team color, but it is black and most of the time i would be wearing this UNDER my Jersey or Jacket… so yeah. Black pretty much goes with everything.
LOVE that the heat is easily adjustable and you can see and change the setting without having to fumble with the battery!
Overall, this is a very nice/simple design and works very well. At the time of this review (01/14/2021) the current prices are decent and worth it, if you are tailgating in colder climates.
4+ Thumbs up!
Manufacturer website: https://venustasofficial.com/*
This specific hoodie is located at this link: https://venustasofficial.com/products/pullover-heated-hoodie-for-unisex-with-heating-pockets-7-4v?variant=41175109861533 *
We are soooooo thankful you stopped by Tailgate Master to check out our always free tailgating tips & tricks! We are very humbled and proud have the best tailgaters and super-fans on the interwebtubez who are constantly stopping in and sharing wisdom. Thank you!
*PLEASE NOTE: TailgateMaster.com DOES NOT receive any sort of payment-for-clicks for referring you to products that we review. We share stuff we like… ’cause we have tried it aaaaaand we liked it. 🙂 If you find this information useful, please consider sharing our site with others (Seriously… we really appreciate it and it encourages us to do even more). We have included some handy social media buttons to make it easy for you…. isn’t that swell of us?
OH, and if you feel like buying us a beer… well… we would certainly enjoy that too.