Whole Chicken in the SmokerSeptember 16, 2019
How long do you smoke a whole chicken in the smoker? I like to cook low and slow to make sure the bird ends up being nice and juicy, so I set my smoker at 225 degrees. The amount of time you leave it in the smoker depends upon the weight of your bird. A good rule (well it’s really more of a guideline than a rule) is about 1 hour 15 minutes per pound… so a 4 pound bird would be 4-5 hours in the smoker.
Make sure to test the internal temperature with a reliable thermometer before removing from your smoker.
4 pound Whole Chicken (Gold ‘n Plump)*
2 ounces Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 cup Chicken Stuffing (Stove Top)*
1/2 stick butter
Beer & Butter Injection …I love this one (LINKY)
Seasoning (Cabela’s beer and garlic seasoning)*
Olive Wood + Hickory
1) Rinse chicken with water and lightly pat dry
2) Inject the chicken… like described here
3) Place half of chicken stuffing inside bird, then add 1/2 stick butter, then add the rest of the stuffing, completely filling up the inside of the chicken. Use a skewer to hold cavity shut or optionally tie legs together to keep stuffing inside bird.
4) Cover the entire exterior of your chicken with EVOO
5) Sprinkle your favorite chicken seasonings over the entire exterior of your chicken.
6) Place chicken in smoker on lowest rack, breast side up… 225 degrees for 4-5 hours
7) IMPORTANT: Internal temperature should reach 165 degrees (If it’s lower than 150 degrees at the four hour mark, I typically increase the heat slightly for the last hour. We want to make sure we get above 165 degrees).
8) Remove from smoker and allow to rest about 15 minutes before carving.
We are VERY thankful you stopped by Tailgate Master to check out our always free tailgating tips & tricks! We are very humbled and proud have the best tailgaters and super-fans on the interwebtubez who are constantly stopping in and sharing wisdom. Thank you!
Oh… and as long as you are here, you might also enjoy the following related topics:
How to Grill the Perfect Steak | Tailgating Checklist | Chicken Recipes | More Tailgating Tips
*PLEASE NOTE: TailgateMaster.com DOES NOT receive any sort of payment-for-clicks for referring you to products that we review. We share stuff we like… ’cause we have tried it aaaaaand we liked it. 🙂 If you find this information useful, please consider sharing our site with others (Seriously… we really appreciate it and it encourages us to do even more). We have included some handy social media buttons to make it easy for you…. isn’t that swell of us?
OH, and if you feel like buying us a beer… well… we would enjoy that too! 🙂